Shoreham Fort Past, Present and Future.
Gary Baines, Chairman of the Friends of Shoreham Fort offers our very popular presentation to schools and community groups alike.
Covering not only the diverse history of Shoreham Fort but also the development of Palmerston Fortification along the Sussex coast and Hampshire.
Travel through time….
- When and why were the forts built and how did they prevented attack.
- Where the forts were strategically placed.
- How the use changed from defending the country to becoming the first ever film studio.
- Why the fort was then left to decay
- What is happening to conserve and maintain the last fort of its kind
To the future
- How we want to restore the fort and return it to the community to use
The talks last for approximately one hour and can be broken in to two parts to allow for a break, if required.
Our presentation required a projector screen which we can supply, although if the venue is equipped with audio/visual capabilities this is preferable.
Site visits are also available
This will not only enable groups to see our unique Scheduled Ancient Monument, it will also give them a brief outline of the history from 1857 through WW1, WW2 and to date.